A report published by CNN warns that high levels of aflatoxin have been found in some pet foods.
It is reported that 28 dogs died and a further 8 fell sick after consuming food contaminated with the toxin. Midwestern Pet food who manufactures Sportmix products found aflatoxin in some of the samples and recalled the products. Investigations are underway to determine whether any other products have been similarly contaminated, and depending on the findings, more products may be recalled.
Recalled lot codes are as follows:
- 50# Sportmix Energy Plus Lots Exp 03/02/22/05/L2, 03/02/22/05/L3, 03/03/22/05/L2
- 44# Sportmix Energy Plus Lots 03/02/22/05/L3
- 50# Sportmix Premium High Energy Lots 03/03/22/05/L3
- 44# Sportmix Premium High Energy Lots 03/03/22/05/L3
- 31# Sportmix Original Cat Lots 03/03/22/05/L3
- 15# Sportmix Original Cat Lots 03/03/22/05/L2, 03/03/22/05/L3
Aflatoxin is a toxin produces by certain kinds of mold. It usually appears on grain, and when consumed in large quantities may cause illness or even death. The symptoms of aflatoxin poisoning include jaundice, evident in the yellowish tint of a dog’s eyes and gums, which is a sign of liver damage. The dog may also be sluggish, may vomit and experience diarrhea.
If your pup shows such symptoms, it’s recommended that you take him to the veterinarian as soon as possible. In addition, as a precautionary measure, do wash your hands every time you handle pet food.