This Summer, Be On The Lookout For A Weed That Is Deadly To Dogs

This Summer, Be On The Lookout For A Weed That Is Deadly To Dogs

If you’re a pup’s mommy or daddy, then you have to check this out. You’re probably already familiar with house plants and foods that can be severely dangerous to your pups (and if you aren’t, you need to look that stuff up – fast!).

Here’s a new plant that you might not be aware that you should keep your pups – and cats too, if you have any – away from. There’s a weed that could be extremely harmful and potentially fatal to your little fur balls this summer. This weed is known as foxtail. Foxtail is a kind of weed that can enter a pup’s body from contact and potentially make their way to the vital organs and brain. Sounds pretty scary, huh?

Luckily, it isn’t too difficult to avoid foxtail. Steer away from bringing your pet to areas with long, uncut grass, and learn to recognize these weeds so that you can avoid places with them. After taking your pups for walks, remember to check them thoroughly for bulbs and barbs embedded in their fur.

If you spot a foxtail barb, you don’t have to panic! Just grab a pair of tweezers and carefully remove the weed. If you suspect that the weed has gotten into your fur ball’s skin or entered their body, immediately contact a veterinarian. Quick action can save your pup’s life!

Take a look at this video for more information

In order to prevent your pup’s health from being affected, do remember to stay away from foxtails! Do share this around to spread the news so no pups are hurt by this dangerous weed!

Feature Image Source: PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals)

Back to blog