I’m sure most of us have heard that famous movie line, “ Life is Like a Box of Chocolates “- full of interesting things to unwrap and discover. Well, while chocolate may be something we humans think we cannot do without, quite the opposite applies to our devoted dogs.
Chocolate is highly toxic for dogs and the culprit is a chemical called theobromine. This is most prevalent in dark chocolate but is present in all types. Humans, by nature, like to share things with people/animals that they love but do not be tempted to share a Mars Bar with your dog, as you could inadvertently be signing his death warrant.
Even with the greatest of intentions, you might still find that your dog has managed to get his paws on some chocolate, the tell-tale signs ranging from empty wrappers to a chocolatey grin on the good side and a pet in distress on the bad side. If you think your dog may have ingested chocolate, do not panic.
Firstly, try and establish how much he may have eaten then call your vet immediately. He will tell you what signs to look out for. These can be vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness, or seizures and will usually appear within 6 to 12 hours after ingesting. Be on the lookout for these and, if necessary, take action. Depending on the severity of your dog’s symptoms, the vet may induce vomiting or give him activated charcoal to absorb the toxins.
Worst-case-scenario is that he may have to be put on a drip, as intense vomiting can lead to dehydration. The best treatment is prevention so educate your family and friends and, in this way, the threat can be reduced.
Feature Image Source: Pixabay