It’s summer! If you’re a pup mommy or daddy, then you know that means plenty of fun times spent in the summer sun, running around in parks and curiously sniffing at flowers and trying to eat random things off the ground.
It also means lots of mean insects that pack a punch – or a sting! It’s reasonable, therefore, for you to be worried about bees and what happens if your pup gets stung by a bee. Here’s the good news: bee and wasp stings don’t really affect pups. It’ll just be itchy and cause some discomfort, and any infections from the wound can be helped by a visit to the vet.
So if your fur ball gets stung, the best route would be to ask a veterinarian for advice on what to do next. Vets will probably be able to help make it less uncomfortable, even if the sting isn’t worrisome. This is of course different from what would happen if your pup is allergic to bee stings. This is extremely rare, but is a small possibility. If so, a bee sting would require immediate emergency treatment from a vet.
If not treated quickly, the anaphylactic shock may result in severe respiratory trouble. If your pup is not allergic and you believe the sting isn’t infected or too severe, just give the wound a quick clean. Remove any remaining stinger and treat the wound with ice to prevent swelling. Of course, if your pup shows extreme sensitivity and aversion to your treatment, then for your own safety, call a veterinarian.
Now that you have these safety tips and know how to handle bee stings, go on, bring your pup out into the sunshine. Enjoy your summer, everyone, and share this to help other pup mommies and daddies worry less this season.
Feature Image Source: Pixabay