Mushrooms are commonly eaten in many households nowadays, either as a meal or as a subtle ingredient. If your dog eats your mushroom leftovers when you’re not looking, you may be concerned about whether it is safe.
There are different types of mushrooms, and not all of them are safe for you or your pup. If you are in the wild, there is a likelihood that you wouldn’t eat any of the mushrooms you come across unless you are an expert who can differentiate between the safe and poisonous ones. In the same manner, the only kinds of mushrooms you should allow your dog to eat are those you buy from the store.
Dogs can eat safe mushrooms such as Chestnut, Shitake, Portobello, Oyster, and Button mushrooms. Although these mushrooms are safe when eaten, they can make your dog sick if uncooked. If you must allow your dog to eat mushrooms, it is important to wash the mushrooms properly and cook them before feeding your dog.
Mushrooms are nutritious as they are a good source of vitamins A, B, and E, fiber, protein, etc. Although their nutritional value depreciates depending on how you cook them, they can still offer some health benefits to your dog, including helping their kidneys and boosting their immune system.
If your dog eats unidentifiable mushrooms while outdoors, it is best to contact your veterinarian immediately to prevent potential risks such as liver damage, kidney damage, or death.