4 Super Poisonous Plants That Our Dogs Should Avoid

4 Super Poisonous Plants That Our Dogs Should Avoid

Dog parents who love greenery, chances are you have a huge number of plants and flowers growing in your backyard. While gardening is not bad, knowing what to plant and which ones to avoid can save your dog. That’s right, some plants are toxic to dogs.

Here are eight super poisonous plants our dogs should avoid:

1. Sago Palms

The medical director of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals’ Animal Poison Control Center, Dr. Tina Wismer says, “Now you can actually go to your local store or nursery and buy Sago Palms as little potted house plants. Many pet owners don’t know that these can actually be toxic to their dogs and cats. One or two seeds is enough to kill a dog or even a child. The fronds and the bark and the roots, all of it is toxic. We have to be able to protect ourselves and our pets by knowing what we’re bringing into the house.” Once ingested, vomiting begins after 24 hours, dogs start having seizures and get depressed. The mortality rate is about 30%.

2. Lilies

Ingesting a small amount of this plant can cause kidney failure, within a few hours of ingesting it they can start vomiting and within 72 hours they stop urinating. Dr. Laurie Coger, DVM, CVCP, says, “When you go to the vet, bring the plant or at least take a picture of it with your phone. If you have the exact scientific name, that’s even better. Your vet may need to contact animal poison control or other references for treatment advice.”

3. Cardiac Glycoside Plants

Veterinary toxicologist for the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, Dr. Safdar Khan says, “All parts of the Oleander plant (Nerium oleander) are considered to be toxic as they contain cardiac glycosides that have the potential to cause serious effects including gastrointestinal tract irritation, abnormal cardiac function, a significant drop in body temperature (hypothermia) and even death.

4. Grayanotoxin Plants

The most common sign with the ingestion of azaleas is stomach upset,” says Dr. Laura Stern, DVM, DABVT. Grayanotoxins, once ingested, can cause vomiting, seizures and, in worst cases, cardiac arrest.

If you suspect your dog has ingested any of these plants, please visit your vet immediately.

Feature Image Source: Pixabay

Back to blog