Here's What You Should Know About Antifreeze And How It Affects Your Pups

Here's What You Should Know About Antifreeze And How It Affects Your Pups

As temperatures drop lower and lower and the weather becomes cooler, you may find antifreeze lying around, or maybe you’re planning on purchasing it yourself.

However, before you do, you must be aware that this substance is very toxic and fatal to your pup! Antifreeze is made from ethylene glycol, which is toxic and can cause kidney failure or death within a very brief span of time. The problem is that antifreeze has a sweet sort of scent and taste, which means that many animals may want to try it out.

But just a small amount can be deadly, so you have to keep them away!

A pup who’s ingested antifreeze may experience seizures, a loss of appetite, and an inability to urinate before ultimately facing fatal consequences. Some earlier symptoms of antifreeze poisoning include depression, vomiting, unsteadiness, and a sudden increase in drinking and urinating.

If you even slightly suspect that your pup might have managed to get his paws – and tongue – on antifreeze, immediately bring him to a veterinarian or an emergency clinic. He can be diagnosed with blood and urine tests, and the sooner the treatment begins, the better.

Luckily, there’s the emergence of a product called Sierra Antifreeze which replaces the deadly ingredient of ethylene glycol with propylene glycol, which is much safer, although your fur ball shouldn’t eat any of that in excess either!

Keep your pups safe this winter and well away from these chemicals, and be sure to clean up any antifreeze spills as soon as possible. Do like and share this so other pup parents are informed!

Back to blog