When Lucky, a seven-year-old golden retriever pup, was bitten by a rattlesnake during a walk near Southern Highlands, he very nearly didn’t make it. His Mom, Ashley Heffernan, details how the curious pup poked his nose in the wrong place at the wrong time.
The pup was rushed to an animal hospital and thankfully survived with nothing but a scar on his nose as a sign of his near-death experience, but it was a close call and he has to be carefully watched for the next few months.
If you live in the valley area, please note that rattlesnakes commonly appear in the months between April and September, and that dogs, being naturally inquisitive, must be kept watch over as they explore during this time. If your pup faces a snake bite, take a picture of the offending snake if you can and rush your pup to an animal hospital ASAP. Do not attempt home remedies, and don’t try to catch or touch the snake!
We’re glad Lucky is doing better and wish him a speedy recovery!
Feature Image Source: KTNV