A lot of dogs die because they accidentally inject poisonous mushrooms out of curiosity. Having said that, it’s not easy to, even for mushroom experts, to detect which mushroom species are dangerous and which ones aren’t.
The problem is that mushrooms that are being consumed in Europe cause toxic symptoms when the same are consumed outside of Europe. It becomes difficult to identify poisonous species if they cause no symptoms in other parts of the world. Here are 5 common mushrooms that can poison our dogs:
1. Amanita Muscaria
Known as the classic toadstool in many parts of the world, this mushroom is found growing in woodland habitats. Not only can this cause disorientation, but it can be deadly if ingested in large quantities.
2. Amanita Gemmata
This poisonous mushroom is found throughout North America, growing in woodland habitats. Because it is often misidentified, this mushroom should be avoided at all costs as it can be deadly.
3. Amanita Phalloides
Commonly known as the “death cap”, this is one of the most poisonous mushrooms responsible for poisoning people and animals. Half a mushroom is fatal to humans so naturally a small bite is enough to poison our dogs. It can cause gastrointestinal problems leading to liver failure.
4. Helvella Lacunosa
Not much is known about this mushroom, but experts recommend that they should be avoided.
These mushrooms often grow on decayed wood and sometimes in lawns and they’re extremely toxic. Since there are many varieties of this mushroom, experts recommend that they should all be avoided. After ingesting these mushrooms dogs will suffer from liver and kidney failure.
Have you seen any of these mushrooms growing near your house? Let us know in the comments.
Feature Image Source: Pixabay