In this over-processed quick-fix world, we find more and more that people are reverting to a simpler life with a simpler diet.
By making simple changes to our diets we are increasingly able to overcome many modern lifestyle diseases such as diabetes, cancer, and hypertension (to name but a few). Our dogs are just as prone to these diseases, with cancer being one of the main offenders. Just as fresh air and exercise are crucial to our dogs’ good health, so is a well-balanced diet.
Too many sugary sweet titbits will only do him harm, adding to his waistline and possibly having toxic effects. Toxic foods should also be avoided, for example, macadamia nuts. Although full of oils and recommended for humans, these nuts can cause paralysis in dogs. Some foods that can benefit your dog and are known to fight cancer are as follows:
- Blueberries, which are full of antioxidants. Many dogs are naturally fond of these while others may need a little gentle persuasion.
- Yellow and orange veggies, such as carrots. These are also obtainable in powder form which can be sprinkled over food, thereby satisfying a fussy eater.
- Green veggies such as kale are also full of antioxidants.
- Omega-3 is a natural anti-inflammatory and will also give your dog a glossy pelt. Collagen will also do this along with strengthening bones.
- Turmeric is commonly used in Indian foods and is also a very potent anti-inflammatory that can be sprinkled over their food. It might be better to disguise it somewhat as it can have a strong taste.
- Protein as opposed to carbs. Proteins such as fish and chicken will strengthen your dogs while carbs will mainly be added to his waistline. Carbs unfortunately have this effect on both humans and dogs.
Nutrition is incredibly important to us and our canine companions!
Feature Image Source: Pixabay