You’ve probably heard that Christmas trees are dangerous to dogs. But why is this the case, and how can you reduce the risk? Here’s what you need to know.
Gifts and Ornaments
A curious dog may try to rip through (and then eat) wrapping paper and presents, and they may be able to knock over ornaments, which is extra dangerous if those ornaments can shatter.
Dogs may eat or chew tinsel, which is bad for their health, causing blockages.
These can get so hot that they burn your dog. Even if they don’t, the cables that come with them may be chewed, increasing shock risk.
Christmas trees tend to shed needles, which your dog may pick and ingest. These needles are toxic and can even cause punctures.
Even fake trees pose risks – their stems can become brittle, they can still be knocked over, and they might be swallowed by a curious dog.
When you water a Christmas tree, the water that pools beneath it is actually tinted with chemicals!
But what if you still want to use a real Christmas tree, whether for the aesthetic or the tradition? The good news is you still can, as long as you’re careful about how you go about it. Here are some tips for safe Christmas tree usage:
- Keep an eye on your dog around the tree
- Set up the tree in a separate room
- Put a fence around the tree
- Put the tree on a stool, table, or other raised surface
- Make sure the tree is secure so it cannot be easily knocked over
- Spray the lower area of the tree with a scent your dog hates
Feature Image Source: Pixabay