Your pup’s health is the most important part of his life with you. It is vital that he is always kept in tip-top shape, and regular health maintenance is far better than trying to fix issues and problems later on.
Here are some areas to focus on in regards to keeping your fur ball healthy and happy!
1. Regular health check-ups. When you first become the Mommy or Daddy to a new pup, the most immediate responsibility you have is to visit your veterinarian. Ask about preventative health care and have your fur ball checked for any current troubles. After this initial visit, go back to the vet for check-ups every six months, even when everything seems fine. Write down any concerns or questions you have about health, habits, or behavior, and ask your vet about them.
2. Vaccinations. Make sure your pup receives all the necessary vaccines. (Check out our article about important vaccines here for more information!) Puppies should be vaccinated at 6-8 weeks, 10-12 weeks, and 14-16 weeks. Following this, they should receive booster shots either annually or every three years depending on your vet’s recommendations.
3. Worm control. These internal parasites are incredibly dangerous. (Read up on types of worms here.) Worming in order to manage these pests should start at 2 weeks of age for pups and continue to be done fortnightly until 12 weeks. Following that worming should be done every month until a fur ball hits 6 months of age, and then every 3 months for intestinal worms and monthly for heartworm. Talk to your vet about control options!
4. Flea control. It’s recommended for fleas to be treated monthly even if you don’t notice any. Read up about the health risks that fleas pose here, and find out about treatment options here.
5. Be aware of breed problems. Different types of pups are more likely to have different sorts of health problems, some of which are quite dangerous. Do research on your pup’s breed so you know what to be aware of and cautious about. You can ask a vet about these issues or check out the LIDA Sydney University database to find out more on your own.
These are some ways to keep pups healthy throughout their lives and ensure a long, happy life. Stay tuned for more methods to keep your fur balls in good shape! But for now, do give this a like and share away!
Feature Image Source: Pixabay