Cobb County dog owner Sarah Flowers is blaming a popular flea drug for the death of her 3-year old dog Chewie. More inside.
The drug, known as Comfortis, is a sister drug to another flea medicine called Trifexis, which in 2013 was the subject of a Channel 2 investigation. Trifexis is a once-a-month combination pill developed by Elanco for heartworm, parasites as well as for the prevention of fleas. Unfortunately pet owners from all over the country are blaming Trifexis for their dogs’ death. Comfortis, on the other hand, is also made by Elanco, the same company that developed Trifexis.
Sarah Flowers was quoted saying that her dog died soon after taking the pill. “It’s the hardest thing ever. I’ll never forget that sound,” said owner Sarah Flowers. By that sound, she meant her dog Chewie’s painful howl before he died in her arms. “It was 45 minutes after we gave him that pill, and he was out here running around, happy. He had no health issues what so ever before that.“
A necropsy found pulmonary hemorrhage and necrosis (dead tissue) in the digestive system. The dog’s vet is asking some serious questions and we’ll keep you updated when we hear something.
Feature Image Source: https://www.wsbtv.com/