Dog Dies After Swimming In A Kiddie Pool

Dog Dies After Swimming In A Kiddie Pool

An 18-month-old dog named Winter recently crossed the Rainbow Bridge after playing in a kiddie pool, causing a veterinarian to issue a grave warning to dog parents everywhere who are turning to water as a great way to keep their dogs cool and refreshed during hot days.

While letting your pup play in the water is nice, it is important to be aware of the warning signs of water intoxication, as it can be fatal. Winter’s mom had to learn that the hard way.

Winter loves playing in the water, and on most days, he does so safely. However, on this particular day, he swallowed a bunch of water while playing in a kiddie pool. It didn’t seem like water was something his mom needed to worry about until Winter got sick and passed away.

According to some sources, the pup died from water intoxication. Veterinarian Dr. Lee has advised dog parents to learn the signs of water intoxication to prevent similar cases from occurring. Although he notes that water intoxication isn’t common, it can be fatal. The American Kennel Club lists the following as some of the signs of water intoxication: bloating, vomiting, lethargy, restlessness, drooling, dilated pupils, and loss of coordination.

If you notice your dog is showing any of those signs after being exposed to water for some time, it is best to contact your veterinarian immediately.

Image Credit: YouTube

Back to blog