Hurricane season is upon us and it’s time to get ready. While of course we should always look out for our safety and that of our family, we have to be careful not to overlook our dogs, too!
Many pooches can get very scared during storms and hurricanes, so follow these tips to ensure everyone is happy and safe!
- Having a buddy system in place is essential during hurricanes. Make sure one of your neighbors or friends can check up on your pets when you can’t. Research shelters to make sure you don’t go to ones that don’t accept animals. That way you’ll know where to go if you need to, without leaving your pets behind.
- Always have your dog microchipped! It’s a cheap procedure and if your pets get lost, any vet can scan for the microchip and reunite you.
- Make sure to also research nearby animal hospitals and vets in case your pet needs emergency medical care.
- It’s not just dogs we need to look out for! If you have any big animals like horses, pigs or cattle, make sure they’ve got clear identification on them as well.
- Stock up on supplies like food, water and veterinary supplies for all your pets!
- Finally, make sure to craft a kit with all your supplies, medical records, sanitation supplies, treats and toys.
How do you ensure the health and safety of your pets during a storm? Follow these tips to make sure your best friends stay safe – and share this with your friends to raise awareness.
Feature Image Source: Pixabay