How to Safely Induce Vomit in Dogs

How to Safely Induce Vomit in Dogs

Dogs are known for their curious and sometimes naughty nature, which can sometimes result in them accidentally ingesting toxic substances. If this occurs, it is important to act quickly to remove the substance from their system by inducing vomit.

According to Dr. Renee Schmid, senior veterinary toxicologist at the Pet Poison Helpline, the speed at which you need to react will depend on what your dog has ingested. For example, vomiting should occur within the first 1 to 2 hours after ingesting substances like xylitol or medication. However, for liquids and chewable tablets, there is usually only a window of 15 to 20 minutes.

Dr. Schmid recommends using hydrogen peroxide to safely induce vomiting in a dog at home. However, it is important to be cautious and not give too much hydrogen peroxide, as it can cause stomach issues. It is a good idea to consult with a veterinary professional to determine the appropriate amount based on your dog's size and weight. As a general rule, you can use 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds of your dog's body weight, but do not exceed 3 tablespoons.

While inducing vomiting can be an effective way to remove toxic substances from a dog's system, it is important to be cautious as aspiration can occur when a dog vomits. This means that the foreign substance can be inhaled into the airway and lungs. Vomiting should only be induced if necessary and under the guidance of a veterinarian.

Back to blog