Is Salt Good Or Bad For Dogs?

Is Salt Good Or Bad For Dogs?

Every responsible dog parent knows that certain ingredients are toxic to dogs. Since salt is a popular ingredient in many foods, it is important to learn whether it is among the toxic ingredients dogs should avoid.

Salt is an electrolyte that helps maintain a balance in body fluids and supports muscle and nerve function. While salt is essential to the body, it is dangerous when in excess and can cause salt toxicosis.

Salt toxicosis, also known as Hypernatremia, is a condition where too much sodium exists in the blood. It causes the body to draw water from other cells into the bloodstream to restore balance, harming the cells involved.

The Chief Veterinary Officer for the American Kennel Club, Dr. Jerry Klein, warns that salt toxicosis is potentially deadly even though it is rare. According to him, common causes of Hypernatremia in dogs taken to veterinary hospitals include eating rock salt, paintballs, homemade salt dough, and drinking too much salt water.

Since dogs commonly get Hypernatremia by eating or drinking things they shouldn't, you can protect your dog by removing toxic substances out of their reach.

Symptoms of salt poisoning in dogs include vomiting, diarrhea, decreased appetite, excessive thirst or urination, and seizures. Contact your veterinarian immediately if your dog displays any of those symptoms or you suspect they consumed too much salt.

Back to blog