We all know that chocolate is one of the most-well known dangers to dogs, but there are lot of other foods and ingredients that could harm our dogs and some are not as well-known, making them even bigger threats.
It’s really important to spot these products and keep your dog far away from them.
Jeni Hargrove Connor and her family know this all too well after their family almost lot their yellow Labrador retriever named Dancer. He wasn’t even two years old yet, but he consumed one of these dangerous products found in most homes, and what followed scared the whole family.
Connor noticed that the pooch had gone through her gym bag and found a big container of sugar-free gum. Dancer ate about 25 to 30 pieces and quickly became dangerously ill. The gum contained xylitol. His family rushed him to the emergency vet with teary eyes, sure they were losing him, but thankfully, his story had a happy ending and he managed to survive. He is now on medication for his liver and he is on a mission to spread the word about xylitol so no other dogs have to go through what he went through.
Xylitol is commonly found in many sugar-free products meant for humans – from gum to toothpaste, even some peanut butter (which might pose one of the biggest threats to dogs since so many love peanut butter). If the product is advertised as sugar-free, make sure you read the label and keep anything with xylitol far out of your fur kid’s reach because as Dancer knows, it can be truly dangerous for our four-legged friends. Always read labels before giving anything to your dog and if it’s not meant for dogs, keep gum, pastes, and other “edibles” safely put away where they can’t get to them.
Continue to page 2 to see Dancer’s video and help him spread the word to keep other dogs safe!
Page 2 Here
Watch the video below to see the full story!
Feature Image Source: Jeni Hargrove Connor